Proof of Minimum Essential Coverage
HealthCare.gov defines, “Minimum Essential Coverage as the type of coverage an individual needs to have to meet the individual responsibility requirement under the Affordable Care Act. This includes individual market policies, job-based coverage, Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE and certain other coverage.” When Covered California requests proof of this, it usually means that they want to see that you are not already enrolled on a Qualified Health Plan (i.e., and Obama Care California plan) that meets this requirement that could possibly disqualify you from receiving subsidies through Covered California.
In order to be enrolled into a Covered California Exchange Plan with a subsidy, you must not have any of the following scenarios apply to you:
- be currently enrolled in a group health insurance plan through your employer
- be currently offered “affordable” group health insurance through your employer
- be currently enrolled in a government sponsored plan like Medi-Cal or Medicare
If you used to but no longer have this type of coverage, you will need to show a letter of the discontinuance of the insurance (see below). It is important to know this requirement applies throughout the year, during Special Enrollment and Open Enrollment Periods.
If none of the above mentioned scenarios apply to your situation, then this proof may have been requested in error. Please use the form letter below to print off, compete, sign, and use as your document to submit.
- Notice of Action of discontinuance from Medi-Cal
- Notice of Action of discontinuance from Medicaid
- Confirmation of disenrollment from employer sponsored health insurance plan
- Confirmation of disenrollment from health insurance plan
If none of the above mentioned scenarios apply to your situation, then this proof may have been requested in error. Please use the form letter below to print off, complete, sign, and use as your document to submit.
For directions on how to submit your documents, click here.
For FAQ’s related to supporting documents, click here.