Proof of Citizenship or Lawful Presence

See Below a List of Acceptable Documents You Can Use to Verify Citizenship or Lawful Presence with Covered California

To be eligible for health insurance through Covered California the law requires that everyone show proof they are “lawfully present” in the country.

Covered California has said that, “All information you provide to us about immigration status will be kept secure and private and will not be used by any immigration agency for the purpose of immigration enforcement.”

Lawfully Present

A person who is lawfully present in the United States generally includes but is not limited to:

  • A U.S citizen or U.S. national.
  • A lawful permanent resident (“green card holders”).
  • A lawful temporary resident, persons fleeing persecution, including refugees and asylees.
  • Other humanitarian immigrants, including those granted temporary protected status.

To show you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. national, send a copy of ONE of these documents:

  • U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560/N-561)
  • Document from federally recognized Indian tribe that includes your name and the name of the federally recognized Indian tribe that issued the document, and shows your membership, enrollment, or affiliation with the tribe. Documents you can provide include:
    • A Tribal enrollment card
    • A Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood
    • A Tribal census document
    • Documents on Tribal letterhead signed by a Tribal official
– OR –

If you don’t have any of the documents on the list above to show you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. national, send a copy of TWO documents, ONE from each of these lists:

ONE document from this list: ONE document from this list:
(these have a photograph or other information like your name, age, race, height, weight, eye color, or address)
  • U.S. public birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240, CRBA)
  • Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-197 or the prior version I-179)
  • Northern Mariana Card (I-873)
  • U.S. Civil Service Employment Record showing employment before June 1, 1976
  • Military record showing a U.S. place of birth
  • U.S. medical record from a clinic, hospital, physician, midwife or institution showing a U.S. place of birth
  • U.S. life, health or other insurance record showing U.S. place of birth
  • Religious record showing U.S. place of birth recorded in the U.S.
  • School record showing the child’s name and U.S. place of birth
  • Federal or State census record showing U.S. citizenship or U.S. place of birth
  • Final adoption decree showing the person’s name and U.S. place of birth
  • Documentation of a foreign-born adopted child who received automatic U.S. citizenship (IR3 or IH3)
  • Driver’s license issued by a U.S. State or Territory
  • Identification card issued by the Federal, state, or local government
  • School identification card
  • A clinic, doctor, hospital, or school record, including preschool or day care records (for children under 19 years old)
  • U.S. military card or draft record or Military dependent’s identification card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Two other documents that prove your identity, like employer identification cards, high school and college diplomas, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, property deeds, or titles.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. national, you can show your eligible immigration status and send a copy of ONE of these documents:

  • Permanent Resident Card, “Green Card” (I-551)
  • Employment Authorization Card “Work Permit” (I-766)
  • Foreign passport with acceptable visa
  • Arrival/Departure Record in foreign passport (I-94)Reentry Permit (I-327)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (I-94/I-94A)
  • Temporary I-551 Stamp (on Passport or I-94/I-94A)
  • Administrative order staying removal issued by the Department of Homeland Security
  • Document indicating withholding of removal (or withholding of deportation)
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (with temporary I-551 language)
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20)
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (DS-2019)
  • Notice of Action (I-797)
  • Certification from U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)
  • Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) eligibility letter (if under 18)
  • Document indicating a member of a federally-recognized Indian tribe or American Indian born in Canada
  • Resident of American Samoa Card


For directions on how to submit your documents,  click here.

For FAQ’s related to supporting documents,  click here.