Covered California Dental Plans
California residents and their families enjoy expanded opportunities for better dental health care through the family plans offered by Covered California dental insurance. The Covered California dental plans provide comprehensive dental coverage for adults and kids alike. Although purchasing dental insurance is optional, adults may opt for Covered CA dental insurance without enrolling other members of the family. Here are some details about the dental plans in California and how they work.
How Does Dental Insurance Work in California?
Medical dental coverage in California has been available for your child’s dental care since 2014. But, as of January 1st, 2016, dental plans have been available for the entire family. Kids will still enjoy their dental coverage from the standard health insurance plan. But the additional dental coverage gives you access to a wide variety of dentists and specialists along with other coverage benefits.
All dental plans follow standard benefit designs spelled out by Covered California. This ensures the plan you choose for family or individual dental insurance in California defines what you’ll get. Plus, it enables you to select a plan that’s suitable for you based on quality, value and network.
The Key Benefits Include:
- Comprehensive services like root crowns and root canals
- Diagnostic services such as x-rays and exams
- Preventive dental care including cleanings and sealants
Diagnostic and preventive services aren’t subject to a deductible.
Who Can Enroll in a Family Dental Plan
- Adults: All adults age 19 and above who are enrolled in one of the health plans offered by Covered California are qualified for a family dental plan
- Your Spouse: If you just want dental coverage for your spouse, you’re free to do so. Simply choose a plan that suits him or her.
- Your Kids: Kids that are already covered by a health plan may also enroll in any family dental plan if at least one adult from the household has been enrolled.
- All Kids in a Home: If a child is enrolling with an adult that is 19 years or older, all children in the home must be enrolled.
- Exceptions: Presently, individuals who are already enrolled in Medi-cal aren’t qualified to enroll in any family dental plan that’s available through Covered California.
It’s important to note that you can’t purchase a family dental plan alone. You must be enrolled in a health insurance plan through Covered California before you buy a dental plan. Also, there’s no premium assistance available for dental plans.
However, depending on your household size and income level, you could qualify for a cost-sharing reduction. This implies that you could enjoy more benefits on an Enhanced Silver Plan.
How to Enroll
To enroll in a dental plan, you can consult an agent who can explain most of the technical and medical terms in each option. You also need to be aware of the differences between a DPPO and a DPMO so you can choose the most appropriate one for your family. The DPPO or dental insurance PPO in California offers service through their California dental network, while the DPMO requires assignment to a primary dental care provider. Choose the dental plan and organization that’s available in your county and offers the type of service you need.
Contact Us for the Best Dental Plans
Give us a call now to talk to a qualified agent who can help you choose the best Covered California dental plan for you and your family.