How to Choose a Dental Plan
Regular dental visits are essential to taking good care of your oral health. You and your family will benefit from having a suitable dental insurance plan to help cover some of the costs and keep your smiles healthy.
With so many factors to consider, from the plans available to you to the coverage they offer, trying to decide on an insurance plan can be challenging on your own. We are breaking down everything you should know and a few easy steps you can take to find a plan that suits you.
Learn more about choosing the right dental insurance plan for you and your family today.
What Is Dental Insurance?
Dental care can effectively help people maintain their teeth and gums for a healthier smile.
A dental plan is a type of health insurance designed to assist with the costs associated with this care. Here’s what this coverage most commonly includes.
- Preventive care: Most dental plans cover dental exams and cleanings as part of preventive maintenance, which a dentist typically performs twice a year.
- Restorative care: Dental insurance often covers minor procedures that fall under restorative care, such as treating a damaged or decaying tooth.
The Importance of a Dental Plan
Having insurance is beneficial for you and your family. Consider the following reasons you need a comprehensive plan.
- Managing expenses: Having adequate coverage is necessary for reducing your out-of-pocket costs and financially protecting yourself in a dental emergency. People are more likely to take advantage of regular maintenance and cleanings when dental care is cheaper.
- Overall well-being: Ignoring dental problems can adversely affect your overall health and lead to conditions such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Access to affordable dental care allows you to maintain better oral health and improve your overall well-being.
- Prevention and early detection: Regular dentist visits can help you keep your teeth healthier and make it easier to spot concerns such as tooth decay or oral cancer early on.
Types of Dental Plans for Californians
When considering getting dental insurance for you or your family, it is valuable to differentiate and compare each available option.
Explore the primary types of dental plans available to California citizens.
Dental Maintenance Organization
A DMO is a type of plan that works similarly to a health maintenance organization. With this plan, you’ll review a list of providers and decide on a specific in-network dentist you will see for all your dental care.
DMO dentists receive monthly payments depending on the number of patients they have. These plans often come with discounted rates for dental services.
Preferred Provider Organization or Participating Dental Network
With PPO and PND plans, patients can choose the dentist they want to visit. Their coverage will follow them wherever they decide to go. While these plans offer access to more providers, patients can still choose to go to a dentist within a network and enjoy services at a lower cost.
How to Choose a Dental Plan
When selecting a dental plan, consider a few different factors to find the right fit for your and your family’s needs.
Evaluate Your Needs
To start, consider what dental needs you anticipate having. A single person who is 25 years old and has a clean oral health history will likely have different needs than a family of five dealing with cavities and braces.
To understand your needs better, create a list of the following:
- Your and your family’s history of dental needs
- Your and your family’s current and anticipated needs
- The average amounts you’ve spent on dental care in the past
Generally, investing more in your dental insurance plan is best if you anticipate making more frequent visits.
Learn About the Different Plans Available to You
As you explore each available plan, pay close attention to what they offer. Assess factors such as:
- The types of procedures covered by each type of plan
- If there are annual limits and what they are
- If there is partial coverage for an out-of-network dentist
The more details you gather about each plan, the more informed your decision-making will be.
Consider Network Size
When choosing the right dental insurance plan for you and your family, consider the dentists in the plan’s network and look for one that’s conveniently near your home or workplace.
See if your current dentist has a contract with the network for the plan you are considering. If they are not in-network, you’ll likely have to pay more out of pocket than if you switched to a contracted dentist enrolled in your plan.
Factor in Your Budget
Your budget is a critical deciding factor for a dental insurance plan. Gather information about your previous dental costs and get a sense of how much you’re likely to pay annually. Consider the following payments as well to see which plan is best for your budget:
- Annual maximums
- Monthly premiums
- Annual premiums
- Any applicable deductibles
Reach out for Guidance
Luckily, you do not have to go through the process alone. Reach out to a professional who can get you a quick quote and help you find the right plan for you. Our licensed agents at Health for California Insurance Center can guide you through the application process.
Additional Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Dental Plan
Asking the following questions about the types of dental insurance and dentists available within these plans can be beneficial before making your decision:
- Will this plan cover emergency dental procedures or treatment?
- What are the appointment wait times like?
- Are the in-network dentists available when I can visit?
- How far will I need to travel?
- Does this dental insurance plan renew every year?
To make the best decision regarding your dental plan, you should ask all your most pertinent questions.
Find the Right Dental Insurance Plan With Health for California
If you are looking for a California dental plan for your needs, turn to Health for California Insurance Center. Our agents can help you find a plan that provides adequate coverage for you and your family without the hassle.
We can guide you through every step and help make the application process as easy as possible, and you can feel free to ask our agents all your dental insurance-related questions.
Are you ready to get started? Reach out to us or request a quote for affordable dental insurance today!
Not sure how Obamacare affects your health care plans in California? Learn how the ACA works in California, including benefits, costs and enrollment.
Covered California is the Golden State’s official health exchange marketplace where individuals, families and small businesses can find high-quality, low-cost California government health insurance.
Learn about Obamacare income guidelines in California using our income limits chart, and see if you’re eligible for government assistance.
Learn about the Covered California website. Find easy online enrollment. Set up your account, log in, buy insurance and more on the California health marketplace website.