It all started right here in California. The largest not-for-profit vision insurance in the U.S., VSP Vision Care was founded over 50 years ago when a group of optometrists from Oakland, California partnered together. There are over 5,092 doctors and 7,800 access points where members may obtain glasses or contacts in California alone. VSP’s goal is to “help people see by providing affordable access to high-quality eye care and eyewear….and that’s why 76 million members are happily covered by VSP.”
VSP Vision Insurance Rates
VSP offers two plans.
- The $120 Vision Plan $15.16/month per person,
- The $175 Vision Plan $19.24/month per person.
The premium is the same regardless of a person’s age or where they live in California.
There is a 1-year contract. You may pay up-front or monthly. There is no additional fee if you pay monthly. You may cancel mid-year, so long as you’ve not used the benefits. If you’ve used the benefits, then, you’ll need to stay on the plan for the year.
VSP Vision Benefit Overview
The main differences between the two plans is that on the $175 Plan, you pay less for frames or contact lenses, and there’s no additional cost for UV, scratch-resistance coatings, and tints.
For more information, review the Your VSP Vision Benefits Summary.
How Vision Insurance Works
- Get quotes and apply. Choose the 1st of the current month or the following month. If you choose the 1st of the current month, you’ll pay two months of premium when you enroll. Also, you’ll need to wait 5 business days before filing a claim. If you choose the 1st of the following month, you pay premium for one month, and you can file a claim the day your plan starts.
- Find a VSP Doctor
- Schedule an eye exam
- Purchase the eyeglasses or contact lenses. Some popular places that accept VSP Insurance are Costco, Walmart, Sam’s Club, and Pearle Vision.
What if I lose or break my glasses?
If your eyeglasses break or get lost, or you’d just feel better having an extra pair, VSP vision insurance gives you a 20% discount on the total cost for the eyeglasses.
At renewal, your vision plan will automatically renew. VSP will charge the credit card or bank account, unless you call to cancel. VSP will email you 60 days in advance of the renewal to remind you of the auto renewal.
For questions or assistance with enrollment VSP can be contacted at (800)410-1857 within the following hours:
- 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday
- 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday
- 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday
Not sure how Obamacare affects your health care plans in California? Learn how the ACA works in California, including benefits, costs and enrollment.
Covered California is the Golden State’s official health exchange marketplace where individuals, families and small businesses can find high-quality, low-cost California government health insurance.
Learn about Obamacare income guidelines in California using our income limits chart, and see if you’re eligible for government assistance.
Learn about the Covered California website. Find easy online enrollment. Set up your account, log in, buy insurance and more on the California health marketplace website.