Reporting Changes to Covered California

Once you have enrolled, you are required to report information on your Covered California Application that changes.  Changes like income or household size may occur during the year that could affect the assistance that you qualify for.  It is very important that you report these types of changes in a timely manner so that you are enrolled in the right program and so that you don’t have any unpleasant surprises at the end of the year and owe money to the IRS!

When do you have to report a change?

  • Covered CA requires you to report changes within 30 days
  • Medi-Cal requires you to report changes within 10 days

What kind of changes do you have to report?

Covered CA requires you to report the following changes:

  • Getting married or divorced
  • Having a baby, adopting a child or placing a child for adoption
  • Having a change in income (if it is a change 10% up or down)
  • Gaining health coverage through a job or a program like Medicare or Medi-Cal
  • Moving
  • Having a change in disability status
  • Gaining or losing a dependent
  • Having a change in tax filing status
  • Having a change in citizenship or immigration status
  • Becoming incarcerated or being released from incarceration
  • Having a change in status as an American Indian or Alaska Native or changing your tribal status
  • Having a correction to your name, date of birth or Social Security number
  • Experiencing any other changes that may affect your income and household size

Special note for Pregnancy: You are NOT required to report a pregnancy to Covered CA.  If you are an existing Covered CA member, it is not necessary or recommended to report a pregnancy unless you are interested in other coverage options for pregnant women such as Medi-Cal or the Medi-Cal Access Program. Learn more about health coverage options for pregnant women.

Who do you report a change to?

It depends on how your household is enrolled.

  • If no one in your household is on Medi-cal, call 1-877-752-4737 to report changes.

  • Contact Medi-Cal to report your changes, if you or any member of your household is enrolled in Medi-Cal. Follow these steps:
    • Then, if you or any member of your household is eligible for a Covered CA plan, call Covered CA to confirm and/or update your plan selection. Alternatively, if you used an insurance agency, you can call them for assistance in updating your plan.

Please Note: If you need to report a change during Renewal time or during the Open Enrollment Period, we advise that you call for assistance.

Not sure how Obamacare affects your health care plans in California? Learn how the ACA works in California, including benefits, costs and enrollment.

Covered California is the Golden State’s official health exchange marketplace where individuals, families and small businesses can find high-quality, low-cost California government health insurance.

Learn about Obamacare income guidelines in California using our income limits chart, and see if you’re eligible for government assistance.

Learn about the Covered California website. Find easy online enrollment. Set up your account, log in, buy insurance and more on the California health marketplace website.