California Government Health Insurance
Healthcare.Gov & Covered California Enrollment: Receive Government Discounts on Health Care
Government Health Insurance refers to subsidized medical health insurance provided by the government to qualified individuals. These health insurance plans could be free or reduced to provide individuals access to quality health care at an affordable cost.
Government health care refers to the federal or state health insurance exchanges, commonly referred to as exchanges, that provide government subsidies to reduce the cost of insurance premiums. It also refers to government programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE and VA Health Care. This will be more readily understood when broken into three categories.
Government Health Insurance through the Marketplace
There are two types of marketplaces available where qualifying Americans can access government tax credits and affordable health care all in one place. The type you choose will depend on the state you come from. There is the federal health insurance exchange known as Healthcare.gov, and there are state-run marketplaces. California has its own state-run marketplace known as Covered California.
Individuals who qualify can purchase a private insurance plan or apply for a government subsidy to reduce their monthly insurance bill. To learn more about enrollment, subsidies and quotes, click Covered California.
Government Health Care through the U.S. Military
For those individuals who serve in the U.S. military and their families, there are three primary programs where health care services can be received:
- Veterans Affairs (VA) Health Care – VA Health Care offers comprehensive benefits to military members for inpatient hospital care as well as outpatient services based on their income, service connection and discharge.
- CHAMPVA – CHAMPVA is a comprehensive health program that serves the spouses and children of veterans who are either wholly or permanently disabled due to their service and are not covered by TRICARE
- TRICARE – TRICARE offers several plans with varying benefits to active and retired military service members, their families and survivors based on their service categories.
Government Health Insurance through Social Insurance Programs
Social insurance programs are offered by the government to assist the unemployed, disabled and older adults. Two primary health care programs are provided in the U.S.:
- Medicaid is a government-funded health insurance program that provides comprehensive medical insurance for free or at a very subsidized cost to individuals who qualify.
- Medicare is a program that guarantees specific health benefits to a sector of the population. It’s based on age, citizenship and Medicare employee contributions. This program provides comprehensive medical insurance for free or at a meager cost.
Now that you’re more knowledgeable about California government insurance plans, we want to help you find the best coverage for you and your family. Our online services at healthforcalifornia.com will provide you with free, instant quotes from the top insurance companies. Just take a few seconds to fill out our confidential form. It’s free and instant.
Not sure how Obamacare affects your health care plans in California? Learn how the ACA works in California, including benefits, costs and enrollment.
Covered California is the Golden State’s official health exchange marketplace where individuals, families and small businesses can find high-quality, low-cost California government health insurance.
Learn about Obamacare income guidelines in California using our income limits chart, and see if you’re eligible for government assistance.
Learn about the Covered California website. Find easy online enrollment. Set up your account, log in, buy insurance and more on the California health marketplace website.