California Obamacare Plans
California is among the few states that chose to create its own health care marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. This marketplace is called Covered California. Individuals, families and businesses use it to shop for health care coverage while taking advantage of the high-quality, affordable services provided on the platform.
Am I Eligible for Obamacare Coverage?
In California, Obamacare requires that all U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals and permanent residents have health coverage that meets the minimum requirements. Unless you qualify for an exemption, you could be penalized if you go without health coverage for longer than two months.
If you’re in the United States unlawfully, you’re not under obligation to have health coverage. For this reason, you won’t enroll in a health plan through the state’s insurance exchange, although you can enroll in private insurance outside of the marketplace.
How Do I Qualify for Obamacare?
To qualify for California Obamacare plans, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Have household income between 138-percent to 400 percent of the FPL
- Not qualify for coverage on Medi-Cal, Medicare or military health coverage
- Not have access to affordable health coverage through your employer
- Comply with tax filing for the benefit year
Types of Health Plans Offered Through Covered California
The health plans offered through Covered California can be divided into four categories, also known as metal tiers:
- Bronze: Your plan pays 60 percent of your healthcare costs, and you pay 40 percent
- Silver: Your plan pays 70 percent of your healthcare costs, and you pay 30 percent
- Gold: Your plan pays 80 percent of your healthcare costs, and you pay 20 percent
- Platinum: Your plan pays 90 percent of your healthcare costs, and you pay 10 percent
What Benefits Are Offered by Obamacare Plans in California?
The minimum coverage requirements or essential health benefits offered by Obamacare include:
- Emergency care
- Ambulatory services
- Hospitalization services
- Laboratory services
- Mental health services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Pediatric services
- Prescription drugs
- Preventative and wellness check-up
How Do I Enroll in a Health Plan in California?
If you’re a resident of California, you have some options when applying to apply for health coverage, including:
- Covered California, the state health insurance marketplace
- Directly through your preferred insurance company
- A licensed insurance broker
If you’re applying through Covered California, you’ll be asked to provide information such as:
- Your social security details
- Your mailing address
- Information on your household members
- Work and household income
- Documents that verify U.S citizenship or lawful residency
When Can I Apply for a Health Plan?
California residents can enroll in a health insurance plan during the open enrollment period, which runs from November 1, 2017, through January 31, 2018. If you have any questions about California Obamacare plans, you can contact us for help by calling (707) 571-7590 or getting more information regarding Covered California.