Blue Shield of California: Dental Products
Posted: July 25, 2016
by John Hansen
The Blue Shield of California dental plans offer a variety of benefits and services for adults and children enrolled in their Medicare Supplement plan. Unlike other carriers, Blue Shield Dental Insurance California offers unique dental PPO plans. This allows patients to visit dentists within the Blue Shield of California network along with limited coverage from dentists outside their network.
Two types of DPPO plans are available through Blue Shield.
- Plus: This is the dental and vision plan package
- Specialty Duo: A plan that provides comprehensive vision care in addition to the benefits of the dental plan
Benefits of the Blue Shield Dental Health Insurance Plan
- There is a large network of over 39,000 general dental practitioners and specialist dental care providers in various regions of California.
- If you need to travel out of state, you can still enjoy the coverage of the Blue Shield network that has more than 349,750 dentists in different parts of the United States.
- When you visit providers in the network, you’ll enjoy three teeth cleanings, x-rays and screening for oral cancer that are 100% covered every year.
- There’s no waiting period for basic services, X-rays, fillings, cleanings and periodic dental checkups.
- A wide variety of restorative dental services and treatment procedures such as prosthetics, oral surgery, periodontics, endodontics and crowns are covered by Blue Shield California dental plans.
The Duo Dental + Vision package offers:
- All dental benefits of the plan stated above
- Access to over 7,000 ophthalmologists, opticians, optometrists and retail stores in the state along with more than 29,500 throughout the nation
- Free eye exams
- Eyewear and low-vision aids are offered for a $25 copayment
- A $100 frame allowance is offered towards any type of frame
Blue Shield Offers Affordable Monthly Rates
Currently, the PPO plan costs $37 for an individual, but from April 1st, 2018, the rates will be as follows.
- PPO 1000: $40.70
- Dental PPO 1500: $49.80
- Specialty Duo Dental and Vision: $60.90
With any of these plans, you may visit any dentist you want. But your out-of-pocket expenses will be much lower when you visit a dentist that’s part of the Blue Shield provider network.
Some of the Drawbacks Include:
- A waiting period of about 12 months for very expensive major dental procedures like veneers, posts and cores, prosthetics, oral surgery, periodontics, endodontics and crown buildups
- The company won’t allow you to simply sign up and use your dental plan for an expensive dental treatment
Get a Quote for Blue Shield of California Dental Plans
Call us now for a free quote on all Blue Shield dental plans. We provide additional guidance on how to choose dental and health plans from any of the top health insurance companies in California.